Patrick “Kit” Bobko brings a unique combination of professional and practical experience to his representation of cities. Kit is a senior member of the Firm’s litigation department and represents RWG clients in the important issues that confront California. He has been at the forefront of the “medical marijuana” litigation on behalf of cities and local governments. He has deep experience representing cities in California Voting Rights Act (“CVRA”) and other important election cases involving issues that define how cities govern themselves. Currently, he is representing municipal utility in a $17M lawsuit with a large, neighboring city over disputed provisions in an operating agreement.
Kit comes from an Air Force family. Like his father, uncle, and brother, Kit is a graduate of the United States Air Force Academy and proud veteran. Kit is also a two-term Mayor and City Councilman from Hermosa Beach, California. During his time in office, Kit led a team that revitalized Hermosa Beach’s iconic Pier Avenue, updated and simplified the City’s business tax structure, and resolved the decades-old legal battle with Macpherson Oil, a dispute which threatened the City’s very existence. Kit was also a Republican candidate for U.S. Congress in 2011. This broad base of experience gives him an inside perspective both in how a city works at the highest level and how legal counsel can best serve to help a City Council accomplish its goals.
Most recently, Kit has expanded his practice to include providing public law advisory services as City Attorney for the City of Buena Park. His first hand experience of government and the litigation process help him guide his advisory clients to effectively measure options and manage the risks inherent in pursuing the public body’s goals.
Work for Clients
Kit is a firm specialist in the California Voting Rights Act and has represented the Cities of Highland, Brea, and Rancho Cucamonga in addressing disputes under the act. He has represented the Jurupa and Roubidoux Community Services Districts in their respective multi-million dollar disputes with the City of Riverside over the operating agreements that govern the regional wastewater treatment plant. Kit currently serves as the City Attorney for the City of Buena Park.
Prior to his career in the law, Kit served as a Captain in the United States Air Force. Kit was a member of the City of Hermosa Beach City Council from June 2006 through November 2013, serving twice as his City’s Mayor.
- Harrahill v. City of Monrovia, 104 Cal.App.4th 761 (2002)
- Nightlife Partners v. City of Beverly Hills, 108 Cal.App.4th 81 (2003)
- Howard Jarvis Taxpayer’s Ass’n. v. City of Salinas, 98 Cal.App.4th 1351 (2002)
- Conejo Wellness Center Inc., v. City of Agoura Hills, 214 Cal.App.4th 1534 (2103) (trial counsel)
- Vargas v. Balz, 223 Cal.App.4th 1544 (2014)
- Event // Regulating Sober Living Homes Under Federal Anti-Discrimination LawsLeague of California Cities, City Attorneys Department Meeting, 2016
- Event // The California Voting Rights Act: How to Assess and Respond to CVRA DemandsOrange County City Attorney’s Association, 2016