Patrick is an associate in the Litigation Department and a member of the Water Rights and Environmental, Energy, and Water Law Focus Areas at RWG. Patrick represents municipalities, public entities, and private sector clients in both state and federal courts in litigation matters.
Work for Clients
Patrick has represented the cities of Brea, Calimesa, Compton, Fairfield, Highland, Indio, Jurupa Valley, Long Beach, Mill Valley, Monrovia, Palmdale, Rancho Cucamonga, Redondo Beach, Seal Beach, Temecula, and Yucaipa. Patrick has also represented the Beaumont Cherry-Valley Water District, the Jurupa Community Services District, the Rubidoux Community Services District, as well as a private commercial entity in toxic tort litigation.
Patrick joined RWG in February, 2013. Patrick externed for the Honorable Nancy C. Dreher in the United States Bankruptcy Court, District of Minnesota in Spring of 2012.
Honors & Awards
Nominated for the American College of Bankruptcy’s Distinguished Student Award for the Eighth Circuit in 2012.
Environmental Law Moot Court Director (2012) and Pace University Moot Court Competitor (2011) at University of Minnesota School of Law.
Professional and Community Affiliations
Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Santa Clarita Organization for Planning & the Environment v. Abercrombie (2015) 240 Cal.App.4th 300; Successfully represented a former director and general manager of a water district in defending claims of violation of Government Code section 1090 and 87100 of the Political Reform Act. Court of Appeal upheld trial court judgment in favor of client, and the California Supreme Court denied petitioner’s petition for review. Patrick drafted both the dispositive motion for judgment on the pleadings, and respondent’s appellate brief, and argued in the Court of Appeal.
- Successfully represented a Community Services District as lead associate in contract dispute involving large wastewater treatment plant construction project in Southern California. Parties reached settlement agreement following filing of motion for summary adjudication on our client’s behalf. Case involved contract interpretation, analysis of state, federal and local regulatory requirements and impacts on wastewater treatment technology selected in a master plan process. Patrick deposed several witnesses, drafted successful protective order motion, and drafted and responded to discovery.
- Successfully represented a public entity in settling employment lawsuit filed by former police department employee who alleged whistleblower protection claims.
- Served on trial team that successfully represented public entity in response to wrongful termination and discrimination claims by former Director of Human Resources.
- Advised water district on issues related to State Water Resources Control Board groundwater regulation, elections law, California Water Recycling Act of 1991, service connection moratoriums, and service duplication law matters.
- Obtained both temporary and permanent workplace violence restraining order on behalf of City Manager, Assistant City Manager, and other employees of city who were threatened with physical violence by a disgruntled citizen. Drafted application and declarations in support, met with and prepared witnesses, and presented testimony and evidence to the Court at hearing on permanent order.
- Represented several public entities in code enforcement nuisance abatement matters, including cases involving landlord of apartment complex, private operator of stormwater ditches, private residences, operator of automobile repair and sale center, and related matters.
- Drafted Oppositions and argued at Pitchess hearings regarding confidential Police Officer Personnel Files and other confidential records.
- Event // Legal Hold ObligationsOrange County Bar Association, 01.2014