Thomas M. Jimbo has litigated for California cities for more than 25 years in cases spanning such diverse topics as public entity insurance, service and indemnity agreements, and redevelopment dissolution. Tom began his career representing insurance companies in major coverage disputes, which gave him a strong understanding of complex business relations and the skills necessary to resolve multi-party litigation. In 2013, his successful representation of the City of Upland in a $100 million, multi-party indemnity action was recognized by the Daily Journal as one of the top ten defense results that year.
Tom takes pride in his ability to adapt to the changing needs of California cities. When the State of California moved to dissolve redevelopment, Tom quickly stepped in to represent RWG clients and ensure their rights were protected to the greatest extent under the law. Today, Tom spends a significant portion of his time helping RWG’s municipal clients navigate a complex maze of law regarding marijuana distribution so that these cities can preserve their vision of their community. Tom continues to advise clients on insurance issues dealing with coverage evaluation regarding such matters as public improvement projects, government tort claims, environmental liability and employee crimes.
Work for Clients
Tom is currently handling and has recently handled the following matters:
- Litigating numerous lawsuits on behalf of the City of Jurupa Valley seeking to shut down medical marijuana dispensaries in the City;
- Contract/land use lawsuit on behalf of the City of Agoura Hills;
- Contract lawsuit arising out of the recently constructed consolidated rental car facility at the Burbank/Glendale/Pasadena airport;
- Redevelopment dissolution/contract lawsuit on behalf of the City of Seaside;
- Providing insurance advisory work on behalf of the Cities of Beverly Hills, Brea, Hawthorne, Upland and Seal Beach.
Judicial Extern for U.S. District Court Judge Robert Takasugi, Central District of California
Honors & Awards
Top Defense Results, Los Angeles Daily Journal 2013
Professional and Community Affiliations
American Bar Association
Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Insurance Coverage. Tom routinely advises RWG’s clients regarding their rights under insurance policies, recently advising on coverage claims for employment, construction delay damages, municipal employee crime/theft coverage and Fair Housing Act violations.
- City of Brea Redevelopment Dissolution. Tom represented the Brea Successor Agency in a “ROPS” dispute involving 2011 tax allocation bonds where the proceeds were used to fund clean-up and construction of long-term pedestrian and bicycle trails. Tom successfully challenged the Department of Finance’s attempt to invalidate the transfer of property from the former redevelopment agency to the City.
- City of Seaside Breach of Contract Action. Tom represented the City of Seaside in a breach of contract action brought against another public entity arising out of a disagreement regarding continued contractual payments to Seaside to mitigate traffic impacts resulting from commercial development. Tom successfully litigated the lawsuit resulting in a settlement whereby Seaside would continue to receive the contractual payments through the redevelopment dissolution process for payment of “enforceable obligations”.
- City of Upland Indemnity Action. Tom represented the City of Upland in an indemnity action brought by the San Bernardino County Flood Control District seeking to recover a $102 million settlement it had paid to a developer related to flood control issues on the developer’s property. Several County officials faced criminal charges for an alleged bribery scheme to approve the $102 million. Tom obtained a favorable result in a summary adjudication motion which led to the dismissal of the City in exchange for a waiver of costs. This case earned a spot on the Daily Journal’s “Top Defense Results of 2013” list.