Chelsea Straus is an associate in the Public Law Department at Richards, Watson & Gershon. Chelsea advises public agencies on a wide array of governmental law issues, including conflicts of interest, elections, land use, public works law, and the Public Records Act.
Work for Clients
Chelsea serves as the Assistant City Attorney for the City of Monrovia.
Chelsea joined Richards, Watson & Gershon in 2018 as a summer associate. During law school, she was a Discourse Editor for the UCLA Law Review. She also interned at the Alliance for Children’s Rights and served in leadership roles for both the American Constitution Society and the Education and Law Society. Prior to her legal career, Chelsea worked as an Education Policy Analyst at the Center for American Progress in Washington, D.C.
- Alert // State’s Political Contributions Solicitation Ban for Local Government Employees Is Unconstitutional08.07.2023
- Alert // FPPC Revises the “Public Generally” Exception for Public Officials with Conflicts of Interest10.07.2020
- Event // The Brown Act in a Modern WorldCalifornia Special Districts Association, 08.29.2023
- Event // Chelsea Straus and David Lim - A Roadmap to Navigating Prosecutions Under DA Gascón’s New PoliciesIndependent Cities Association Winter Seminar, 02.20.2021
- May-June 2022California Special Districts, Volume 17, Issue 3
- Senate Bill 998: How California Can Effectively Prepare for New Restrictions on Discontinuing Residential Water ServiceJanuary - February 2020California Special Districts Magazine, Volume 15, Issue 1
J.D., University of California, Los Angeles School of Law
B.A., cum laude, Bucknell University