Dave Fleishman has practiced extensively in the area of public law and in the area of labor and employment law for both public and private employers. His practice has focused on the representation of public agencies in an advisory role as city attorney or general counsel, as well as in public entity defense litigation, including writs and appeals, civil rights, Fair Labor Standards Act, wrongful termination, employment investigations, public contracting, tort claims and code enforcement. He has also represented private employers throughout California in wrongful termination, wage and hour, and other employment matters.
Work for Clients
Dave currently serves as City Attorney for the City of Pismo Beach and the City of Solvang. He formerly served as City Attorney for the cities of Guadalupe, Pacific Grove, and Deputy City Attorney for the City of Atascadero. He also previously served as Assistant City Attorney for the City of Morro Bay. He has represented over 40 cities and special districts in California and Nevada in various labor and employment matters, including personnel investigations on a wide variety of topics.
Dave previously served as the President of the City Attorneys Department of the League of California Cities, and as the chair of the League's Legal Advocacy Committee. Prior to returning to Richards, Watson & Gershon, where he began his legal career in 1991, Dave was a partner for nearly 25 years in the law firm of Hanley & Fleishman, LLP, which focused on public agency representation throughout California.
Professional and Community Affiliations
Chairperson, Legal Advocacy Committee, League of California Cities, 2018-19, Member 2017-18, 2012-14
Past President, City Attorneys Department, League of California Cities, 2021-2022
Member of Ad Hoc Committee - League of California Cities City Attorneys Department Listserv
Moderator – League of California Cities City Attorneys Department Listserv
Legislative Consultant – League of California Cities
- George v. City of Morro Bay, 177 F. 3d. 885 (9th Cir. 1999)
- Presentation // Email and E-Records Retention Issues under the Public Records ActLeague of California Cities City Attorneys Conference, 05.2013
- Presentation // Dealing With Disruptive Members of the PublicLeague of California Cities Annual Conference, 10.2002
- Paper Terrorism: The Impact of the "Sovereign Citizen" on Local Government2004Public Law Journal, Vol. 27, No. 2
- Featured LawyerApril/May 2001Wired Lawyers, 11 Law Office Computing 2