The Public Works Practice Group at RWG focuses on the legal and practical issues surrounding public works projects. Through the combined expertise of its Public Law, Public Finance, Environmental, Real Estate, and Litigation Departments, this Practice Group assists public entities in efficiently and successfully completing public works projects.
RWG’s Public Works Practice Group works proactively with clients in all aspects of public works projects, including:
- Project Conceptualization and Financing: initial planning, development of a strategy for project implementation, engagement of architects, general contractors and project managers, and CEQA review.
- Procurement: design/bid/build, design-build, and design, build, operate and finance “fee-producing infrastructure projects” (Government Code Section 5956, et seq.); and adoption of procedures under the Uniform Public Construction Cost Accounting Act.
- Contracts: preparation of state-of-the-art contract documents with appropriate risk-shifting provisions and performance criteria for professional services, consulting, construction, and design-build contracts.
- Bidding: drafting effective and legally sufficient bid specifications, evaluating bids including responsibility of bidders and responsiveness of bids, providing effective techniques for processing relief from bid, and bid protests.
- Contract Implementation and Completion: partnering with clients to handle all construction and public works disputes, including but not limited to change orders, prevailing wage, delay and extra work claims, contract termination, takeover agreements, and claims against payment and performance bond sureties.
- Claims: prosecution and defense of claims involving contractors for construction defects and design professionals for errors and omissions in the preparation of plans and specifications. Significant projects include but are not limited to Temecula Community Theater, Regional Intermodal Transportation Center for Bob Hope Airport, Civic Center and City Hall projects for Beverly Hills, Newport Beach, and Temecula.
The Practice Group brings together the Firm’s experienced public works attorneys with attorneys specializing in public law, litigation, public finance, real property, and environmental law, to assist our public agency clients in successfully implementing and completing public works projects. Whether handling a routine public works bidding question, or assisting with the design, financing, construction and operation of a $60 million wastewater treatment plant, attorneys in RWG’s Public Works Practice Group can provide all legal services needed to ensure successful project completion and resolution of disputes.
- News // Governor's Housing Package10.23.2017