David serves clients in litigation matters and in areas of public law.
David serves as the City Attorney to the City of Fairfield and Assistant City Attorney to the City of Mill Valley. David also serves as special counsel to agencies in the area of code enforcement, police practices, and general litigation. Prior to joining Richards, Watson & Gershon, David served as Deputy District Attorney in Alameda and Santa Clara Counties from 1999 to 2019, with over 50 solo jury trials to verdict and countless other litigation matters. For 14 years David served on the Real Estate Fraud Committee of the California District Attorneys Association, acting as Chair from 2010 to 2018. From 2009 to 2017 David served on the San Mateo City Council, including two years as the appointed Mayor.
Professional and Community Affiliations
Member, San Mateo County Bar Association
Member, Alameda County Bar Association
Member, California Association of Code Enforcement Officers
David is an avid (but slow) runner, having completed 17 marathons. He and his wife have three kids and reside in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- People v. Max Harris & Derick Almena. Alameda County Superior Court, 2017-2019. Lead prosecutor in the Ghost Ship Warehouse fire on December 2, 2016, which killed 36 individuals.
- People v. Yusuf Bey IV, et. al. Alameda County Superior Court, 2007. Led a series of prosecutions against the organized criminal syndicate “Your Black Muslim Bakery” in Oakland in multiple cases of real estate fraud and identity theft to help break up the syndicate. Companion prosecution to the murder case of Oakland Post reporter Chauncey Bailey.
- Alert // California Court of Appeal Protects Peace Officer Confidential Personnel Files From Fishing Expeditions by Defense Attorneys12.30.2020
David has taught courses on complex white collar crime prosecution to local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies.
- Webinar // Ghost Ship Warehouse Fire - A Case StudyCalifornia Association of Code Enforcement Officers, 05.26.2021
- Event // Chelsea Straus and David Lim - A Roadmap to Navigating Prosecutions Under DA Gascón’s New PoliciesIndependent Cities Association Winter Seminar, 02.20.2021