Nick assists cities in a wide range of transactional, land use, and compliance matters, with a special focus on NPDES permitting and stormwater compliance.
Work for Clients
Nick serves as an assistant city attorney in the cities of Agoura Hills, Indio, Moorpark, and Rancho Cucamonga. He also serves as General Counsel for the Gateway Water Management Authority, a joint powers authority.
From 2007 through 2010, Nick worked for U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein as a member of her legislative staff in Washington D.C.
During law school, Nick externed with the Honorable R. Gary Klausner at the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California and clerked for the Office of the Los Angeles City Attorney. He was also a Senior Research Editor for the Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review.
Professional and Community Affiliations
Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
Member, California Stormwater Quality Association
Nick has substantial experience representing municipal clients on stormwater (MS4) regulation and compliance matters relating to the Clean Water Act and Porter-Cologne Water Quality Control Act. He represented a diverse group of 20 cities in Los Angeles County in litigation involving the 2012 Los Angeles County Stormwater Permit.
Nick has been involved in drafting and negotiating agreements for major development and public works projects, including agreements between the City of Beverly Hills and the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority governing construction of the Purple Line Subway Extension.
- Alert // City’s Transfer of Revenue from Municipal Electric Utility to General Fund to Recover Costs of City Services Upheld09.10.2018
- Alert // Court of Appeal Holds that Provisions of San Diego County MS4 Permit Constitute Unfunded State Mandates12.20.2017
- Alert // California Supreme Court Rules That Municipal Stormwater Permit Requirements May Constitute Unfunded State Mandates08.29.2016
Nick regularly presents on the Brown Act and Public Records Act for the City Clerks Association of California
- California Special Districts Association Annual Conference, September 25-28, 2019
- Presentation // The Public Records Act and the Brown ActCalifornia City Clerks Association's "Nuts and Bolts" Seminar, 06.07.2019
- Presentation // Los Angeles County MS4 Permit Litigation UpdateCity Attorney’s Association of Los Angeles County Retreat, 03.15.2019
- Presentation // How to Build and Maintain the Public’s Trust: Practical Ethics and the Law (AB 1234)League of California Cities Planning Commissioners Academy, 03.06.2019
- 11.2017CSMFO Magazine
J.D., cum laude, Order of the Coif, Loyola Law School, Los Angeles
B.A., with honors, University of California, Santa Barbara