Nick assists cities in a wide range of transactional, land use, and compliance matters, with a special focus on NPDES permitting and stormwater compliance. Nick is the assistant chair of the Environmental Department and Public Law Department at Richards, Watson & Gershon.
Work for Clients
Nick serves as City Attorney for the City of Rancho Cucamonga and as Assistant City Attorney for the cities of Agoura Hills and Moorpark. He previously served as the interim City Attorney for the City of Laguna Niguel. He serves as General Counsel for the Gateway Water Management Authority and Southeast Water Coalition, two Los Angeles-based joint powers authorities. Nick also provides legal counsel to the Contra Costa County Clean Water Program, which administers a county-wide stormwater program on behalf of its member agencies.
From 2007 through 2010, Nick worked for U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein as a member of her legislative staff in Washington D.C.
During law school, Nick externed with the Honorable R. Gary Klausner at the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California and clerked for the Office of the Los Angeles City Attorney. He was also a Senior Research Editor for the Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review.
Professional and Community Affiliations
Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
Member, California Stormwater Quality Association
City Attorneys Department representative, League of California Cities Environmental Quality Policy Committee
Nick has substantial experience representing municipal clients on stormwater (MS4) regulation and compliance matters relating to the Clean Water Act and Porter-Cologne Water Quality Control Act. He represented a diverse group of 20 cities in Los Angeles County in litigation involving the 2012 Los Angeles County Stormwater Permit.
Nick has been involved in drafting and negotiating agreements for major development and public works projects, including agreements between the City of Beverly Hills and the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority governing construction of the Purple Line Subway Extension.
- Alert // A Public Agency Meeting Agenda Must Identify a Project’s CEQA Exemption Under the Brown Act10.27.2022
- Alert // A Closed Session May Violate the Brown Act Where Litigation Threat Is Not Identified in the Publicly Available Agenda Packet02.18.2020
- Alert // City’s Transfer of Revenue from Municipal Electric Utility to General Fund to Recover Costs of City Services Upheld09.10.2018
- Alert // Court of Appeal Holds that Provisions of San Diego County MS4 Permit Constitute Unfunded State Mandates12.20.2017
- Alert // California Supreme Court Rules That Municipal Stormwater Permit Requirements May Constitute Unfunded State Mandates08.29.2016
Nick regularly presents on the Brown Act and Public Records Act for the City Clerks Association of California
- Presentation // Parliamentarian2022 League of California Cities Conference, 09.2022
- Presentation // Recent Updates to the Brown Act and Social Media UsageCSDA's Special District Leadership Academy, 09.2022
- Presentation // Understanding California’s Prohibition on Gifts of Public FundsCalifornia Special Districts Association 2021 Board Secretary/Clerk’s Conference, 10.2021
- Event // How to Collect Unpaid Bills: New Restrictions on Discontinuing Water Serivce Under SB 998California Special Districts Association Webinar, 03.11.2020
- Event // Stormwater UpdateACC-OC (Association of California Cities Orange County) Energy, Environment & Water Committee, 03.02.2020
- Event // Understanding Public Service Ethics Laws and Principles (AB 1234) Training for the New Mayors & Council Members AcademyLeague of California Cities 2020 New Mayors and Council Members Academy, 01.24.2020
- Presentation // The Public Records Act and the Brown ActCalifornia City Clerks Association's Annual "Nuts and Bolts" Seminars
- Presentation // Untangling the Law: Important Legal Updates for Board Secretaries and ClerksCalifornia Special Districts Association’s Board Secretary/Clerk Conference, 11.13.2019
- California Special Districts Association Annual Conference, 11.25-28.2019
- Presentation // Los Angeles County MS4 Permit Litigation UpdateCity Attorney’s Association of Los Angeles County Retreat, 03.15.2019
- Presentation // How to Build and Maintain the Public’s Trust: Practical Ethics and the Law (AB 1234)League of California Cities Planning Commissioners Academy, 03.06.2019
- Senate Bill 998: How California Can Effectively Prepare for New Restrictions on Discontinuing Residential Water ServiceJanuary - February 2020California Special Districts Magazine, Volume 15, Issue 1
- 11.2017CSMFO Magazine
J.D., cum laude, Order of the Coif, Loyola Law School, Los Angeles
B.A., with honors, University of California, Santa Barbara